Monday, August 30, 2010

Shootin' the Hooch

This past weekend we experienced our first ever tubing trip in Helen. Needless to say, it was such a fun time. The only thing that I would change about it would be the temperature of the water!! Holy cow, was it cold. I laughed almost the entire time watching Drew attempt to save us from getting stuck on a rock - and in three hours we got stuck on many a rock. The water was very shallow in some areas and at one point, Drew got out to pull the rafts...then he lost a flip flop and had to run back to get it...then there me and the boys go in a pretty fast current down the river without him. The kids were freaking out, poor things. Trying to run on river rocks and other sharp objects with tons of people in rafts around you just isn't easy. Fortunately, the Shewbert crew rescued him and let him hitch a ride on Lucas' tube (big guy, small raft - very funny) while I was holding onto the slimiest rock for dear life so they could catch up. Hudson was even grabbing the monkey grass as hard as he could. It was too cute watching him work hard for his Daddy.

Getting back home after a weekend with your family makes you realize how important your family is. I am so grateful that we were able to spend a great weekend with everyone (Kayla, we missed you!) - I think we all needed it. We decided we were going to start a tradition of doing something like that together every year which I am already excited about. It is so fitting that I ended up going to see Eat, Pray, Love Sunday night...one line that stuck out the most to me was that "The only thing permanent in life is family" - and that is so very true. At the end of the day, your family is all you have. Sometimes the whirlwind of life sucks you right in and we forget what we care the most about. So I'm going to hold onto my family as tight as I can. Sidenote: Of course, spending a weekend away with your family equals lots of food. Lots of food equals over eating. Now I feel gross...like I am going to buy a juicer this week and use Dr. Oz's green juice recipe gross. Blah! I want veggies and fruit please.

1 comment:

  1. yay! i found your blog and now i will be able to keep up with the newells. :) so good to see you guys at the reunion! i hope it's not ten years before we see each other again! the boys are just precious by the way!

    ReplyDelete