Monday, January 10, 2011

2011

Been a while since I've blogged. I'm still up in the air about why I really do this...ya know, expose me and my family in a very intimate and personal way? Honestly, I think I'm doing this to document our life. I think it would be amazing years from now to look back, not only at pictures, but at the stories that are behind it all...memories. I also find this theraputic. So here goes...

Let's see, quite a lot of things have happened since I last wrote. The holidays have come and gone and it's now 2011! How crazy does that sound!? As cliche as it is, time really flies by, especially when you have kids. December 5th was a huge day, first of all. It was the day that I was baptized. A defining moment it was for me. It was like the beginning of a new life...truly a symbol of how I felt inside and in my heart - being able to finally show my family and friends the importance of my faith in Jesus was something I'll never forget. It was one of the most incredible moments of my life! The fact that Maddox got to witness ME being baptized is also something that I'm thankful for. I'm glad he was there. Now he is starting to ask questions about it and saying he wants to be baptized! Grateful for ALL that were able to be a part of that day with me.

We went to our Christmas Eve candlelit service and our Bobbi and Mimi joined us. We all sang Christmas carols and it was yet another amazing service at West Ridge. I had goose bumps the whole time and cried like a baby through all the songs. Geez, I'm turning into my mother, arent' I? Inevitable I suppose! Ha. The boys had the best Christmas ever. I'm telling you what, there is nothing greater than experiencing the laughter, smiles, eyes lighting up and pure excitement on Christmas morning with those two boys. We tried to scale it down this year with presents. I was so adamant of not going overboard...the boys already have everything...yada yada...well, whatever. I think we ended up doing the complete opposite of what I intended to do! Either way, making them happy, seeing them both giddy as ever is something that absolutely makes my heart melt. So be it. I just don't want them to take their things for granted like I did growing up, unfortunately. We did make sure to pick out the perfect toys for the kids that were coming to Hope for Christmas this year at our church...they were very excited to do that and not once asked about buying themselves something. Their Mimi also took them to buy items for Toys for Tots and they really enjoyed picking out those toys too.

A little cool news about Maddox: he started his first day of Target last week! Words really do not express how that makes you feel as a parent...so very proud of him!! It was weird b/c I hadn't heard ANYTHING about it after they had done the testing and the next thing I know I'm reading his "Welcome to the Gifted Program" letter. When I told Drew the news, I think he even got choked up a little bit.

Work is going really well for me and I'm getting the hang of everything. I work with a really great group of women and I couldn't be happier with where I am. I don't think I've laughed as hard as I do when we're all together! Laughing is seemingly an important part of my life...thank goodness I'm married to the biggest goofball ever who makes me laugh every day!

In more serious matters, Drew went down to see his dad after Thanksgiving after not seeing him in quite some time to say goodbye as he knew the day was coming near as he had been very ill. Well, his father ended up passing away on December 27th from his battle with this horrible disease that has already taken the lives of many of our loved ones, especially over the past few years. The funeral was this past weekend. It was probably one of the single most difficult things I've ever experienced. Seeing someone you love having to go through something like this and there's not a thing in the world that you can do. I hurt for Drew. It killed me to have to listen to the stories and hear about a life that was lived over the past 12 plus years where Drew was barely a part of and what seemed as an after thought when mentioned at all.  He was a man he didn't know at all, that our boys didn't know. Something that was said was that if you didn't know Jerry, you truly missed a blessing. And all I could think was, well, if you don't know Drew and the person he has come to be, then you're missing a blessing. He is a great father, husband, friend to many, hard-working and successful man - a man of God - and not just a 'great baseball' player.  I truly wish that Jerry had  been an abundant blessing in Drew's life. If that were the case, then he would have gotten to know our insanely cool little boys. He would have known that Maddox has the cutest little lisp and a smile and dimples that instantly steal your heart forever. He would have known that Hudson never lets you forget that he loves you because he says it non-stop every day and that he says 'soos' instead of shoes. All we can do is believe that God is in control. We don't always understand why things happen, why people are the way they are, why they do the things they do or don't do for that matter - or why people that we love dearly hurt us so. We just have to know that life's experiences serve some greater purpose. All I know is that my boys have the most amazing father in the world who would bend over backwards for them and will love them and be there for them until the end of time. At the of the day, Drew will be a better person because of this and continue to place his trust  in the great Lord we serve. May Jerry rest in heavenly peace.

As we enter this new year, may we all never let a day go by without letting the ones who are near and dear to us know that they are loved. For love is what sustains us.

No comments:

Post a Comment